I know, I know.. It’s summer, it’s hot. But don’t let that stop you from creating!! Today I have a fun and practical project to work on in between your beach trips and sun bathing. It may be too hot to wear our makes, so let’s make some stuff we don’t have to wear!
Home decor is so fun to make! Being able to decorate with items that you have made with your hands and custom color choices really allows for a personality and love-filled home!
This is a personal blog. All editorial content and projects are intellectual property of Jessica Carey, designer of The Hook Nook. This post was sponsored by JOANN Stores but all ideas and opinions are my own.
Using the seriously delicious Buttercream Glossy yarn found exclusively at JOANN Stores, I am so excited to share this fun project with you!
The Summer Crush Pillow crochet pattern was inspired by a constant desire to keep yarn in my hands, no matter how sweaty they get during the summer. I love using handmade pieces to decorate my home because there is just no other feeling of love and coziness than to have pieces that took hours and intention to create filling your home.
With a touch of elegance from the sheen and detail of the yarn itself paired with a basic stitch and finished with simple, yet intentional detailing, the Summer Crush Pillow is perfect for Makers of all skill levels! No matter what color choices you choose, you’re about to have one super darling pillow to snuggle up to!
Note: Creating this project may lead to unexpected naps. I experienced this first hand and just want everyone to be aware of the potential sleepy dust that will be embedded in this piece. Use caution.
Are you ready?! Let’s go!
-N/10mm crochet hook
-114 yds Buttercream Glossy in Color A - Cream (super bulky weight 7 / 50% acrylic, 50% nylon)
-114 yds Buttercream Glossy in Color B - Silver (super bulky weight 7 / 50% acrylic, 50% nylon)
-16”x16” Pillow Form
-psssst! Get 20% off your purchase when you order from JOANN Stores here!
CH - Chain
HDC - Half Double Crochet
Sl St - Slip Stitch
st - Stitch
sts - Stitches
sk - Skip
5.5 sts x 5 rows = 4”x4” in HDC
-CH 1 does not count as a stitch.
-This pattern is made as one long rectangle with one color change. After the rectangle is complete, we will be folding it in half and seaming up two of the three open sides. We will place the pillow inside the pocket and finish seaming up the pillow. Once the pillow is complete, we will add the scalloped detailing.
SUMMER CRUSH PILLOW CROCHET PATTERN:
Using Color A, CH 26.
- Starting in 2nd CH from hook, HDC in each CH across. (25)
- CH 1, turn. HDC in each st across. (25)
- Repeat Step 2 for a total of 20 rows.
- Finish off Color A.
- Attach Color B to last st created using a Sl St. CH 1, HDC in same st. HDC in each st across. (25)
- CH 1, turn. HDC in each st across. (25)
- Repeat Step 6 for a total of 20 rows.
- Finish off, weave in all ends.
- Lay your crocheted rectangle flat.
- Fold the second color section over the top of the pillow form.
- Place your stitch markers in the corners, connecting both panels together.
- Using Color A, attach yarn to side of pillow, near fold, using a Sl St. CH 1. Sl St in evenly around two sides of the pillow. - Do not finish off.
- Turn pillowcase inside out, setting the seams inside. Place pillow form inside pillowcase pocket.
- Finish up seaming using Sl Sts. Finish off, weave in ends.
Note: You may choose to do the detailing on Color A or Color B side - or both! Just be sure to use the opposite yarn color for the detailing to get that “pop!
- Attach yarn to front of 5th st inward from the side of the pillow on row 9.
- [CH 5, sk next 3 HDC, Sl St to front of 4th HDC st] Repeat two more times. Finish off.
- Reattach yarn to front of 3rd st inward and two rows above previous Sl St detail row.
- [CH 5, sk next 3 HDC, Sl St to front of 4th HDC st] Repeat three more times. Finish off.
- Repeat steps 1-4.
- Weave in ends.
- Now go take a nap. I did.
I just love finding ways to still get my hands busy during these warm months, and I sure hope you do, too! Plus, you now have a handmade pillow to use in your living room, office, camping trailer or wherever you want to add a pop of personality and some cozy!
I hope you all love this project as much as I do! Keep on making, my friends!
Don't forget to share your progress online and use hashtags #handmadewithjoann and #thehooknookers so share with our communities! Be sure to follow along with me on Instagram to see more fun inspiration and stay in the loop with whats to come! Thank you to my friends at JOANN Stores for helping me create such a fun project!
Want to check out more beautiful, modern crochet and knit patterns? Check out ALL of our blog posts featuring patterns, projects and more designed and shared by some of the community's best designers and dreamers here on THNLife Blog!